Re: rescheduling

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: rescheduling
Date: 22 Apr 1999 13:26:32 -0700

WS> A Suggestion: it seems one can actually define the number of
WS> simulation (time) steps in a Batch swarm run.  Can this not be
WS> modified so that one can dynamically change the number of
WS> simulation steps (for selected swarms) to zero, even for
WS> interactive swarms?

[example deleted]

WS> which I took to be parameters needed by the swarm.  I hope I have
WS> not read too much into these variables (and comments!).

In this case, the variables determine a repeat interval on one
schedule and the placement of event on another schedule used for
stopping the simulation.  In the latter (stopSchedule) case, you could
schedule some kind of clean up procedure that was executed in several
schedule steps, and then finally sent the top level terminate message.
The schedule data structures are open for the munging -- thus the name
"dynamic scheduling".

If I understand you, the answer is yes.

MD> All objects have a list that holds all the notify functions added with
MD> addRef:withArgument.  These are all called before the object is
MD> deallocated and the references disappear.

WS> Does this mean if I used addRef:withArgument THRICE with the same
WS> (identical) receiver and arguments, as in:

[example deleted]

WS> the same object will be called THRICE before being deallocated by drop?  (I
WS> would be more at ease if this is the case!)

Yes, notify will be called three times, and then the deallocation occurs.

MD> Notification is only done when an object is dropped.  There's the
MD> variable for reallocation in the interface, but that doesn't actually
MD> do anything.

WS> This seems to be at variance with the docs.  From the docs, I had the
WS> impression notification would be done even for assignments to the objects!

Thanks.  I've clarified this.