Re: rescheduling

From: Axel von Kamp
Subject: Re: rescheduling
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:27:53 +0100

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> B> The harder part is if method calls have been scheduled in the
> B> future with a specific object as target which now may be dropped
> B> before the message call is reached.
>
> Compared to the previous example, a potentially more flexible approach
> is to have the notification function not remove the action, but
> instead redirect the target of the ActionTo to a peer object (or
> singleton Heaven object), where this object implements the forward::
> method.   ..like filling out tax forms for a deceased relative.

Here is what I do:
When you create a new Action in a Schedule/ActionGroup with one of the
createActionTo: object  methods the id of the new Action is returned. So
you could assign this id to an instance variable of the object.  When the
object  is dropped use the id to remove the Action from the
Schedule/ActionGroup and drop the Action itself.
However, I remove the Actions from an ActioGroup prior to its execution.
I don't know if there might be some kind of interference when you remove
Actions from a Schedule/ActionGroup which is currently being executed.