Re: wierd random number behavior

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: wierd random number behavior
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:13:40 -0500

At 12:39 AM 4/19/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello Group
>
>I have been working with a fire model that uses CA-like behavior in a
>landscape.  The model worked fine when used on my linux box at work (a
>pentium 200 with 64M RAM); however, I have put the code on my pet
>laptop and recompiled it for a presentation, and started getting
>bizarre behavior with the model.  After some fiddling around, I
>discovered the culprit to be coming from uniformDblRand.

Paul,

a couple of comments:

1. Swarm was not designed to run on the old Pet computer ;-)
(Commodore is long gone!)

2. You must be aware that if all you want is doubles uniformly distributed
over [0.0,1.0) you don't need to call the distribution object at all; any
generator will give you that with

        randNum = [randomGenerator getDoubleSample];

or, if you don't need full precision,

        randNum = [randomGenerator getThinDoubleSample];

3. Beyond that, the behavior you describe is troubling. Please tell us more
about the hardware and software environment provided by your laptop.

Sven