Re: Christmas in Swarmville

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Christmas in Swarmville
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:31:50 -0600

At 05:49 PM 10/28/1998 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey hivemeisters,
>
>I guess Xmas comes early this year, I just received my shrink wrapped
>Swarm CD.
>
>This is totally cool. To be able to run all the demos, Emacs and the GNU
>tools from the CD ROM on an Wintel machie is nothing short of a miracle
>(and with a fancy little Tk widget to launch everything - nice touch).

Let me add to the chorus here: this CD is a most excellent thing to have!

Here's why: say that you just had your latest simulation results published
in a most prestigious journal. (Hey, we can always dream!) Say that two
years from now, someone writes to you and wants to replicate your
experiment. In the mean time, we have upgraded Swarm, and Linux, and Tcl
and Tk and BLT, several times. Could you provide your correspondent with
the pieces needed to run the version of your brilliant simulation that
provided those astonishing results? Could you even tell him what versions
of what he would need?

Now the answer is easy: save the source code for your simulation, and hang
on to the official Swarm CD. C'est magnifique!

Great job, guys.

Sven Thommesen