Preparing installation for SWARM on SuSE 5.2

From: Lorenz Gygax
Subject: Preparing installation for SWARM on SuSE 5.2
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 12:53:35 +0200 (MEST)

Dear Flock,

I am trying to prepare my SuSE 5.2 Installatin for SWARM.

I went through all the needed spftware and have a couple of questions and
problems. I am glad about any hint how to solve them or to where I can
find solutions on this problem (e.g. maybe I have missed something on the
SWARM site or in the faq).

Prerequisite Programs:

SuSE 5.2 comes with gcc 2.7.21-6, GNU make 3.76.1-7 and gdb 4.16. Thus I
assume that I should basically be fine with them.

Prerequisite libraries:

- libXpm; with locate libXPm I find the following:

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.10

Does anybody know whether these are ok? (I donwloaded the xpm-3.4h but a
note in the README about problems installing it made me hesitate.)

- SuSE 5.2 comes with Tcl/Tk 8.0/8.0

- BLT: Unfortunately SuSE comes with BLT 1.9 (seems to be very old,
indeed) thus I downlodades blt8.0-unoff-swarm-0. After runnign ./configure
there remain some __Edit_config.BLT__ in config.BLT where PATHS must be
specified. Two of these are for libtcl.a and libtk.a which I can not find
neither with 'find' nor with 'locate'. Does that mean I need to install
Tcl/Tkl from scratch?

- doing make check fro the tclobj I get 'undefined reference to
Tcl_GetFile'; should that worry me and if, what can I do about it?

- libffi: wow, no error while running ./configure; make; make test; make
install

- zlib: seems ok, no error while doing make test and make install

- libpng: I get error messages while running make test of the form:
        'undefined reference to ...' (e.g. to png_set_write_status_fn)

This happens even though ZLIBLIB and ZLIBINC point to the correct
directory in the Makefile.

Any Comments are greatly appreciated!
--
                        Lorenz Gygax

       /|         address@hidden;       room: 36-L-40
      / |\
     /  | \       Department of Applied Mathematics
    /   |  \      University of Zuerich-Irchel
   /____|   \     Winterthurerstr. 190; CH-8057 Zurich
  ______|____\    voice: 41-1-635-58-52  fax: 41-1-635-57-05
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dachslernstr. 141, 8048 ZH, 41-1-432-51-47