Re: /X11/Xlib.h

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: /X11/Xlib.h
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:41:27 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

I've seen this one!  I had this problem in April and complained lots
of times to the list, so much that Sven wrote step by step installation
guidelines for the archive method in swarm.  Those are in the FAQ.  From
this printout, it looks like you have a binary install.

My first guess: When I installed linux the first
time, I did not include the Xfree development libraries in my setup.
Then I got the rpm for XF86-devel and these messages stopped! If you don't
have Xlib.h anywhere on your system, that is likely to be the problem.
(at /, type "find . -name Xlib.h" to scan all parts of the disk for that
file.)  If you don't have it now, look for that rpm.

Next guess, if you do have it in the /usr/X11R6/include/X11 hierarchy or
such, then you need to add that directory in your Makefile.conf and remake
swarm. Which stuff did you have in the Makefile to start with?

Some people, like me, eventually get exasperated with the so-called "easy
to install" binary method and just revert to the archive method.  It is
better documented, at least in my opinion, and it will work with the
debugger, which is a plus I don't take advantage of myself much yet, and
it also can be patched and updated by you.

Feel free to contact me directly if you need any help.
Paul Johnson
University of Kansas
address@hidden