Re: Help with installation, please -- results of make CC="gcc -v"

From: ludo
Subject: Re: Help with installation, please -- results of make CC="gcc -v"
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 10:47:26 +0100

Hi Bret (and others?), some quick remarks/replies;

On Nov 13,  2:43am, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
>   Thanks for the quick replies.  I carried this out, and tried to re-direct
> it to a file, but only a small part at the beginning went to the file, and
> the rest scrolled up the screen.  I did it in X, and then typed the
> beginning of the output to a file and saved it.  The results are below.

In X you should be able to select text in almost all app's (e.g. terminals,
editors, consoles, mail-programs ;-)) with leftmouse and paste it in another
program. with rightmouse.
I'm familiar with your redirect problem (any solutions, anybody?); my solution
would thus be select the output and paste it in eg. an editor.

>   If you know of a way for me to re-direct all the output to a file, I
> would like to know.
>
>   Please note that I searched for the directory where objc.h and Object.h
> were and created a link to a directory named /usr/swarm/include/objc.  I
> added this to my Makefile.conf to try to have the files found.

probably the best way to find 'objc.h' on your system is:
'find /usr/* -name "objc.h" -print'
this should give you the path where objc.h is located, if it is installed
(based on your compiler output my guess is that it should be in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/include/objc/, but then again I'm sitting
behind a Silicon and then you never know

In general this strategy works fine: find out what gcc misses, find out where
it searches (the include list from the 'gcc -v' output) find the file yourself
(find .....), fix the problem (adjusting makefiles, links, etc)
This last point is taken up by Paul E. Johnson I see (in the mean time ;-))
Good luck, over to the night shift again.
Ludo.