Re: Help with installation, please

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Help with installation, please
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:08:11 -0600 (CST)

Dear Bret:
I agree the installation is tough.  If you look at the FAQ for
Swarm, we have some details about things you should put in the
makefile.conf when you compile swarm.  It seems to me you
did not set the include or library directories.  Then you
set environment variables for TK and TCL.  These steps are described
in http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/linux/FAQ.html.  If it is
done properly, no symlinks are needed (I think).

I realize that In the section on the makefile, it says "you need
to get the details and insert them," and then it promises some examples.
But there are no examples yet, seems like nobody wants to post their
makefile. The FAQ does have an example makefile for the archive
install, however, and it seems to work fine. I did a binary install that
followed tha example and it works fine.  If you stick with the binary
method, the key is to get the directories correct in there, and then
set the environment variables.

 If you have trouble, please email me directly, as
I've helped several people through the process and I'm glad to do it.
If I can't figure out what's wrong, thought, there are many people on
the list eager to help.

Incidentally, I'm a big believer in Redhat Linux, and even if  you keep
plugging with Slackware, there'll probably come a time when you
want either update Slackware or switch to Redhat or Debian.  If your
Linux kernel is not 2.0.27 or newer, upgrade sooner rather than later. I
assume from your comments that you are new to Linux. When new, I
installed Slackware first because it was included with a manual I got
at CompUSA.  I know there are some Slackware users in the Swarm list,
but Debian and Redhat users are more vocal, most of the time. You may want
to use Redhat or Debian instead someday.  For that reason, it might be
wise to consider installing swarm and your
swarm applications on a different partition.  That way, it would be
easy to protect them when linux is upgraded. (I have swarm installed
in /swarm/swarm-1.0.3 and the applications are in /swarm/swarmapps on a
partition that has only /swarm on it).