Re: probably trivial problem

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: probably trivial problem
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 18:59:51 -0700

At 05:16 PM 4/24/97 -0700, Peter Deadman wrote:
>OK..this is probably trivial, but I'm not sure whats going on.
>
>I create a group of agents in modelSwarm and put them
>in a list called agentList. When I compile the program, I get this
>warning message:
>
>CprModelSwarm.m: In function `_i_CprModelSwarm__buildObjects':
>CprModelSwarm.m:110: warning: local declaration of `agentList' hides
instance variable
>CprModelSwarm.m:130: warning: local declaration of `agentList' hides
instance variable

This means that you've declared a local variable which has the same name as
an instance variable (either of that class or one of its super classes).
GCC allows this, but what happens is that you cannot get access to the
instance variable within the scope of that local variable; that is what the
warning means when it says "hides".  The easy fix is to rename the local
variable to something else like 'anAgentList'

Scott