Re: suggestion about suggestions

From: Ginger Booth
Subject: Re: suggestion about suggestions
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 14:05:44 EDT

I like Rick's idea re suggestions.  Having managed a list of those in
the past (we just called it the todolist), a couple points:

    1.) It helped us to subdivide the list into wishlist and bugs.
    2.) I liked to knock as many items off the todolist as possible
        when I'd already decided to overhaul or implement something.
        There's often a way to do things such that a lot of detailed
        suggestions get irrelevant/obsolete/fulfilled in spirit, if not
        verbatim.  (Like if you collected 50 misc. suggestions on parameters
        and reading them and writing them.  Provide a parameter manager,
        and wipe out the 50.  Start over with new suggestions on the new
        base.)  You don't want to do everything on the list.
    3.) It's nice to keep the original conversation around for reference,
        but nicer to work with 2-liner descriptions, sorted vaguely by
        subject. (GUI interaction, structural, parallelism, etc.)
    4.) There's often nice little clusters of isolated-nonvital stuff
        that summer interns or new hires can teethe on.

> The basic idea is to set up some (simple)
> database of sorts for suggetions.
> Each will have the original text,
> the date, the suggesters name.
> Then periodically the HiveTenders should
> go through an assign
> - difficulty
> - priority
> - estimated done time (which could include NA).
> ratings to each suggestion.
> Then users could look through there to see
> a) has anyone else made the same or
>    similar suggestion
> b) is there an ETA.
> The later is important so that users can
> plan whether they should just roll there own,
> or if they can wait for the Swarm supplied capability.

FWIW,
    Ginger