Re: blt and readline

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: blt and readline
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:23:42 -0500

At 04:39 PM 4/21/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I want to know if you are able to compile libtclobjc with readline
>support.
>That's where I got hung up way back when, and only after forgetting
>about readline did I get libtclobjc to configure/make.
>
>PJ
>
>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Sven N. Thommesen wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, I just went back to blt2.1, ran 'make distclean' then
>> ./configure. And whaddya know, suddenly the configure program thinks that I
>> *don't* have 'tkInt' and configured itself accordingly. So in that case I
>> guess I don't need those sources. Most likely the notion that I DID have
>> 'tkInt' was left over from a previous configuration. (More of a mystery:
>> now that I DO have the sources and hence tkInt.h, why didn't configure find
>> it???)
>>
>> Also, while 'readline' wasn't included in 3.0.3 (AFAIK), it IS included in
>> 4.1.
>> (Paul: just run 'updatedb' then say 'locate readline'.) Presumably tcl and
>> tk as included make use of this library.
>>
>> --Sven

Well, since you ask, [and I have rooted around], yes!

To get libtclobjc-1.1b6 to include support for the 'readline' library,
you have to:

        # make distclean
        # READLINE_INCLUDE_DIR="/usr/include/readline"  // RedHat 4.1
        # export READLINE_INCLUDE_DIR
        # READLINE_LIBRARY_DIR="/usr/lib"
        # export READLINE_LIBRARY_DIR
        # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-readline
        # make
        # make install

Then, to get Swarm apps to link properly, add "-lreadline -ltermcap" to the
line SYSDEPLIBS in Makefile.conf in $swarmhome.

I did not see any difference in the way my Swarm app ran, however.

Note:
I was able to run 'make check', after a fashion: firstly, start X first.
Next, under doCheckTcl in the Makefile remove the '<' character. If you say
'make doCheckTk' you get a little button you can click. If you say 'make
doCheckTcl' you get the Tcl interpreter, and you can type commands to it. I
don't believe the check.tcl script gets run, though. If I just say 'make
check', then process doCheckTcl used 99%CPU for over 30 min on my PP200
before I killed it ... But at least we no longer get those reams of error
messages!

Cheers,
--Sven