RE: Swarm application & "socket"

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: RE: Swarm application & "socket"
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:38:23 -0700

Gek Woo Tan writes:
 > It seems that Swarm 1.0.1 requires some new libraries. In the file
 > Makefile.conf there is a new line
 >         SYSDEPLIBS=-lsocket -ldl -lnsl
 > that includes socket, dl and nsl. But I have no idea where to find them.
 > And if I don't specify the location, I always get the message
 >        ld: -lsocket: No such file or directory

Hmmm.  We made some changes to the Makefile.conf sections
for SFI, Linux, and HPUX.  If you're just using the default
(i.e. "make" without a setup argument), then you will get the
default setup, which is SFI.  This option then sets the
SYS variable to "solaris", which then sets the SYSDEPLIBS
to -lsocket -ldl -lnsl.

You may not need these, esp. if you're not running Solaris! [grin]
So, you should edit the Makefile.conf and either change the
SYS variable from "solaris" to whatever your system is or
you can write your own setup section.  Or, if you're truly a
rebel, you can just edit the SYSDEPLIBS line to read however
you want it to.

Kevin Allen writes:
 > the compilation cannot link to socket
 >
 > what is this library, do I need it and where can I find it
 >
 > I have searched my system for the file/directory with no luck.
 >
 > I am running sunos 4.1.3 on a sparc

Yours is the same problem outlined above.  We had to include
the socket library for our new solaris boxes.  You should probably
just change the SYS variable in the Makefile.conf from "solaris"
to "sunos".  But, then you will have to provide a SYSDEPLIBS
that contains "-ldl -lnsl" somewhere, I think.

glen