Re: Multiple Tcl/Tk/BLTs on same machine?

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: Re: Multiple Tcl/Tk/BLTs on same machine?
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 23:12:30 -0400

I've done this, and it works fine.  Run ./configure with the option
--prefix=/home/jae/swarm.  If you make Tcl, Tk, and BLT all in the same
parent directory and in that order, Tk and BLT will find the right
libraries if you just don't anything until you're done installing all
three. If you wanted to install the 7.4/4.0 versions in the same directory
as 7.5/4.1 you can do that too -- just make sure to rename the already
installed header files to tcl7.5.h and tk4.1.h, then make soft links named
tcl.h and tk.h after you're done to the version you want to use by default.
I think the libraries get named libtcl7.5.a and libtk4.1.a when they're
installed (but you'll want to make sure before installing the 7.4/4.0
version so that they don't get overwritten -- I may be wrong).  The other
thing you'd have to do if installing 7.5/4.1 in the same directory as
7.4/4.0 is make sure that the 7.5/4.1 man pages don't get overwritten --
you could tar and gz a copy of the man/mann directory and then reinstall it
when you're done installing 7.4/4.0.
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                      <mailto:address@hidden>
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems