Re: Death In Swarm

From: Manor Askenazi
Subject: Re: Death In Swarm
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 10:35:01 -0600

  One question though. As far as I can see, you are actually removing and
  dropping objects from a list while traversing it. Isn't that just as
  fatal as the original problem that started this dicussion?

Well no, because, an index is _meant_ to be used to remove objects
from a collection, the point is that, unless it is a safe index (not
yet implemented -- contact roger for details :-) it assumes that it
is the only one changing the contents of the collection at that point
in time, so given that we know that there are no other index objects
pointed at the collection, we can use it to remove/delete stuff etc.

In the original, buggy example, you have an implicit index created
during the createActionForEach: which is confused because the dying
object is removing itself directly, without going through the
aforementioned index.

Regards,

Manor.