batch mode (was Re: Installing swarm-961002)

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: batch mode (was Re: Installing swarm-961002)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 09:27:13 -0400

At 12:18 AM -0500 10/3/96, Sven Thommesen wrote:
>b) when running an app outside of X you need to say
>  "# appname -batchmode", otherwise you get the error
>message "no display name and no $DISPLAY variable"
>and the app does not execute. (As an upside, you can
>now say "#appname -batchmode" even within X, and
>you still get the non-graphical behavior.

Could Swarm be changed in the next release to check for a display variable,
and to go into batch mode automatically if it isn't set, as in the last
release?  The problem in the last release wasn't that it was checking for
DISPLAY before starting the GUI but that you *couldn't* run in batch mode
unless DISPLAY wasn't set. (Maybe a -gui option would be something to
consider, to force GUI mode).  Thanks for fixing the earlier problem!

And could you please give guidelines on which command-line arguments should
get passed to InitSwarm()?  I sent a message about this earlier.  This is
vital for batch mode applications.

Thanks!
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                      <mailto:address@hidden>
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems