Re: remove all from a List

From: Roger Burkhart
Subject: Re: remove all from a List
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 96 10:13:39 MST

> Here is how I check to see if the superiors List exists,
> and if it does, re-start it with no members:
>
>     if ( superiors )
>         [superiors drop];
>     superiors = [List create: xZone];
>
> There may be a way to [superiors deleteAll] or some such,
> but I don't know how to do it, and haven't been
> able to find it in the swarm/support/collections/*.h files.

No, there's not a built-in method to do this yet, but it probably makes
sense to have one, and I'd considered it previously.  The method would
be [aCollection removeAll]; which would remove all members but not
dispose of them, as well as perhaps [aCollection deleteAll], which
would both remove each member and drop it.

These methods are equivalent to:

  index = [aCollection begin: aZone];
  while ( (member = [index next]) ) {
    [index remove];
    [member drop];  // deleteAll only
  }

I'll try to get these into the release we're expecting late this week,
along with other pending changes.

Roger