Re: gcc Compile

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: gcc Compile
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 96 12:49:53 MST

>1.)  I was told by my system manager that gcc needs
>     a resident C compiler to install itself.  Is this
>     true?  Specifically, I installed Sun OS2.4 on my PC but
>     it doesn't come with a generic compiler.  Purchasing
>     one is a costly proposal.

ARGH! Thank you, Sun, for shipping a Unix system without a compiler.
I know someone, somewhere has a binary-only distribution of gcc: this
should be enough to at least bootstrap you to building your own
compiler. I'd check the comp.sys.sun FAQ, and
ftp://prep.ai.mit.gnu/pub/gnu/ first. There's probably a Solaris ftp
archive somewhere that could help.

>2.)  Are the SWARM executables transferable to machines
>     that don't have all on the libraries installed or
>     does the executable code need access to them at run time.

It depends on how you link them. If you add the flag "-static" to the
link line, gcc will statically link in everything and you have a
standalone binary. If the shared libraries you use are standard
enough, you can also try to transport the shared version and hope the
other machine has them.