Re: mousetrap; tee; globalTkInterp eval: naive-use

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: mousetrap; tee; globalTkInterp eval: naive-use
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 08:17:14 -0400 (EDT)

rint is not in the standard libs in hpux (at least on some
of the machines types they sell).
there is a version in a special place /lib/pa1.1
but it turns out that it has a bug in it!
(at least with some version of the opsys.)

ginger booth said (I think) she substitued floor for rint
and got heatbugs, etc, to work on her hpux.
I decided to just write a little rint (its only a few lines)
and it seems to solve the heatbugs problem for me.

re tee: I can tee programs I have written,
and other programs I have ported to the machine
with no problems.   I have only seen this with swarm apps.
I only tried two apps, ie axelcult and my own, since
they were already doing printf's. I could
try others by putting some printf's in them, I suppose, but
I was hoping someone would try it on their machines
and tell me if it happens to them, and/or tell me
why tee won't work.

I see now why I couldn't use the globalTkinterp to
change my ZoomRaster's background.

For the future, it would be good to have ways to control
features (eg bg color) of things like ZoomRaster.
But I don't consider it high on my list of priorities.

I'm still not quite understanding globalTkinterp
with respect to my toy hi-button.
I was guessing globalTkinterp was a central clearing house for
all Tk commands, eg, to put up the control and simpars
windows (and the zoomraster).   Thinking about it more now
I see one problem with my toy button was that I didn't
tell the interpretor which frame to use.
So maybe it used the zoomRaster by default or something?

anyway, that is just me trying to learn by playing.

I'm more interested in knowing what moustrap is supposed to do
and why moustrap doesn't do anything for me even though all
the other apps seem to work.

thanks again for the info.
 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/rlr-home.html