swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] re re diabetes modelling

From: Joshua O'Madadhain
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] re re diabetes modelling
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:52:24 -0700

Pieter et al.:

If you want to see an implementation of the Barabasi/Albert algorithm, you can find it in JUNG (jung.sourceforge.net), a Java API for network representation, visualization, and algorithms. It's in the package edu.uci.ics.jung.random.generators. There are certainly arguments to be made that it's not the best model, but it has the advantage of simplicity (only two parameters: the number of initial ("seed") vertices, and the number of edges to add). If anyone has questions about this code, feel free to contact me (I'm one of the JUNG architects and developers).

As a side note, the model you described below does not--unless I've missed something--actually define a network, but just a degree distribution. (That is, I don't understand how your method would specify what pairs of individuals would be linked.)

Joshua

On 18 Sep 2005, at 13:31, Pieter Steenekamp wrote:

Hi,

 and Gulyas Laszlo who wrote:
> The most famous algorithm to create scale-free networks (rather: networks > with power law degree distribution) is the Preferential Attachment model
> of Albert and Barabasi. Try Google, you'll be successful.

My choice of wanting to use a scale-free network has been influenced by the book "Linked" by Albert-Laszlo Barabasi, who is Professor of physics at the University of Notre Dame. (Are the Laszlo in Gulyas Laszlo and Albert-Laszlo Barabasi linked?). I realise that there are different algorithms to generate a scale free model, my current requirement is just to generate a network with static links, following the power law distribution, so I think a simpler algorithm than the Preferential Attachment model will do.

I haven't programmed it in SWARM as yet, but having played with the following in Excel seemed to give a reasonably good (for my application at least) power law distribution: If you have a list of people, and now you want to generate a number "numLinks", for each person in your list, that is the number of other people in the list influencing her, then use the following:
numLinks = a * exp [ b/(c + x)]
with x = d + e*f
with f = randomly distributed number between 0 and 1
a,b,c,d & e are adjustable coefficients giving different power law distributions.
A set of values that I have tried is:
a = 10
b = 20
c = 4