swarm-modeling

Re: Probes

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Probes
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:11:44 -0600

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> In Java, if you want to save a whole object at a timestep, use a
> scheduled "Globals.env.hdf5AppArchiver.putShallow$object (name,
obj);"
> call.  That will write entires to APP.hdf where APP is the name of
> your application.  Then you can get them back on another run with
> "obj = Globals.env.hdf5AppArchiver.getObject (name);", or load the
object
> value into the R statistical package.  Use putDeep instead of
putShallow
> if the object you're saving has other objects in it.  putShallow
has
> the advantage of saving in a more efficient format that loads in an
> intuitive table format in R.

I've been meaning to work out an example of an app that outputs data
that I would then analyze in R.  I'm considering doing it to JHeatbugs.
If I understand the drift of our conversations about ways to save data
in Swarm and hdf5, my plan should be to create a new class "Output" that
would be full of public instance variables that have the data I want
saved.   Then putShallow would write the numbers.  In the case of
Heatbugs, I think this means changing a bit about the way the Observer's
graph is created, and a "stand alone" averager object will be created,
which can both give data to the output class and also to the graph.

If anybody has advice about how to pursue this, I will wait with open
ears.  If anybody  has a small working example, fork it over.
"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> FW> How can this best be done with output from probes, i.e., instead
> FW> of feeding them into display objects, feeding them into other
> FW> (data-collection) objects or files?
>
> In Java, if you want to save a whole object at a timestep, use a
> scheduled "Globals.env.hdf5AppArchiver.putShallow$object (name, obj);"
> call.  That will write entires to APP.hdf where APP is the name of
> your application.  Then you can get them back on another run with
> "obj = Globals.env.hdf5AppArchiver.getObject (name);", or load the object
> value into the R statistical package.  Use putDeep instead of putShallow
> if the object you're saving has other objects in it.  putShallow has
> the advantage of saving in a more efficient format that loads in an
> intuitive table format in R.
>
> If you just want to save a single field of an object with a probe,
> then you can make a "value = messageProbe.doubleDynamicCallOn
> (target);" call where you get messageProbe from a
> "probeMap.getProbeForMessage (messageName);".  You'll have to save
> `value' using Java file interfaces, or some ad-hoc way.

   body of the message.