swarm-modeling

Re: ASM discussion topic: "tiny pools that time forgot"

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: ASM discussion topic: "tiny pools that time forgot"
Date: 04 Apr 2000 09:25:36 -0700

PJ> I keep thinking there must be some more transparent way to
PJ> schedule this.  But this definitely is something worth looking
PJ> at. I think there have been some questions in swarm-support over
PJ> the year from people who wanted this kind of effect--a subprocess
PJ> that goes without affecting global time.  But I don't know if
PJ> there are any dangers to it.

activate a Swarm in nil.. as simple as that.  The control panel and
ActivityControl mechanisms aren't adequate for managing disconnected
hierarchies of Swarms, but the activity library can do it.

I suppose the `warmup' is coded using an ActionGroup instead of
straight code just to be a somewhat more abstract.

PJ> And what good does the while statetement do at the end of it?

As it is activated in nil, as a practical matter it isn't going
to be interrupted, so "[[warmupSwarm getActivity] run]" would work
equally well.

   body of the message.