swarm-modeling

Re: The Swarm space (was RePast (another agent toolkit) released)

From: Miles Parker
Subject: Re: The Swarm space (was RePast (another agent toolkit) released)
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:24:10 -0500

Miles T. Parker
Software Engineer
The Brookings Institution  1775 Mass. Ave. NW  Washington, DC  20036
http://www.brook.edu/es/dynamics/models/ascape
mailto:address@hidden  voice 202.797.6136  fax 202.797.6319

>>> Marcus G. Daniels <address@hidden> 01/31/00 08:27PM >>>

MP> As an aside, I do think that there was and has been a history of a
MP> kind of knee-jerk anti-Java bias in parts of the the open-source
MP> *nix world (and by extension, Swam.)

>>It wasn't until a a year ago or so that there was usable independent Java
virtual machine with library support.  In fact, there still isn't
complete, freely redistributable source code for all of the popular
Java APIs, esp. Swing.

Yea, and I'll frankly be surprised if we ever see a good open source Swing
distribution, but CMIIW. And IMO, the commercial distributions are typically
much better than the free-software versions. Its clear that when you get into
the Java world you have to give up a lot on the free-software fornt.

-Miles

   body of the message.