swarm-modeling

Re: The Swarm space (was RePast (another agent toolkit) released)

From: Miles Parker
Subject: Re: The Swarm space (was RePast (another agent toolkit) released)
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:20:08 -0500

Miles T. Parker
Software Engineer
The Brookings Institution  1775 Mass. Ave. NW  Washington, DC  20036
http://www.brook.edu/es/dynamics/models/ascape
mailto:address@hidden  voice 202.797.6136  fax 202.797.6319

>>> Marcus G. Daniels <address@hidden> 01/31/00 08:27PM >>>

>>So I think it's potentially misleading to call this "bias", as it is a
reasonable thing for that community to do given the goal of making
freely redistributable, flexible, and technically-strong software.

Agreed, I stand corrected, or at least should clarify. One definition of bias
might imply an irrational uninformed proclviity towards a particular point of
view, whereas another might simply reflect a different weighing of values and
goals. I think a lot of Linux folks fall into the first category [there is a
lot of irrational bias against Java on /., for instance :-)], while most Swarm
denizens seem to fall into the second. In other words, I think its clear that
there is a definite free-software 'bias' in the swarm community, and I don't
fundamentally have a problem with that, in fact I respect it a lot. My
satirical response was that I'm more of a sell-out and have a somewhat more
positive attitude towards the commerial world (but I won't use MS development
products; I have some standards!)

-Miles

   body of the message.