summer-of-code

Savane and GSOC

From: Sylvain
Subject: Savane and GSOC
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:57:23 +0200

Hi,

I hear on the Savane development list, from a GSOC application, that
Savane is listed in the GNU GSOC ideas page.

After investigation it appears that nobody in either Savane or
Savannah was consulted.

So I'd like to announce myself as a mentor for coreutils.
;)

More seriously - this is certainly a good-willed initiative, but
launching an action independently of the related project is
irresponsible:

- The student asks about it on the developers list and nobody know
  about it.  This reflects negatively on the GNU image.

- The Savane/Savannah/Gna! people have other plans to resurrecting the
  Python/Django rewrite - doing this GSOC idea as-is will result in a
  waste of time that will not be appreciated by the GSOC organisation.

How do the GNU GSOC organisers check the ideas and mentors?
There's definitely been a confusion here.

--
Sylvain