Re: Problems as a new emacs/speechd-el user

From: Cleverson Casarin Uliana
Subject: Re: Problems as a new emacs/speechd-el user
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 16:06:56 -0300

Hi Milan, thanks a lot for answering. Comments are below:

One possibility would be that those keys don’t work in your terminal
with nox Emacs.  But since you say they work sometimes, this doesn’t
seem to be the case.  You can try to press e.g. ‘C-h c pageDown’ to see
whether the binding is correctly recognized.

Thanks, I have sorted this out. Part of the problem was I didn't know this behaviour related to scroll-error-top-bottom. As for m-< and m->, they still don't work, perhaps due to my keyboard layout not being standard American, but I discovered that using the esc key + < / > works, so it's OK.

It depends on the synthesizer used.  speechd-el should send ICON Speech
Dispatcher command, some synthesizer backends can handle it
appropriately, others just say the icon name.

Well, icons were simply not installed on my system. I discovered that ArchLinux doesn't have it packaged, so I needed to download the Debian package and extract it. Now, all of sounds work like a charm.

You must first check the checkbox attached to the parameter you want to
set.  Then you can edit the parameter.

this is still not solved. I am performing the following steps:
* Enter into emacs;
* c-e d . to change punctuation to some;
* c-e d r to change rate to 30;
* c-e d V to change volume to 15;
* c-e c-a to make this voice the default;
* m-x customize-variable to check whether speechd-connection-voices and speechd-voices are OK. the first is OK, but the second appears not to be. Instead of showing the voice parameters in the usual customization appearance, it shows the lisp expression, and at the state line, it says "mismatch" at the end, and it doesn't let me save for future sessions. If you want, I can try pasting here the actual emacs buffer so you can examine it.

On another topic, I've just tried to use c-e c-l to spell a few things, but spelling isn't working apparantly. Even when I activate speechd-speak-spell-mode. It seems not to take any effect, nothing is spelled out.

and lastly, just as a suggestion, I'd like to see in Speechd-el a phonetic spelling feature, where you could spell using the phonetic alphabet, e.g. alpha, bravo, charlie etc.

Best,
Cleverson