Re: Speech dispatcher and audio?

From: Jeremy Whiting
Subject: Re: Speech dispatcher and audio?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 19:14:27 -0600

Yes, now most of the modules send their audio back to the daemon so it can do all the audio playback. This will help with sending audio to clients once that's added at some point. but that's not in place yet. This also helps to use one bit of code to do all audio playback in the daemon itself instead of having to have every module do their own playback (usually in the same way using the same code, but still). This should also help (though I'm not sure if it does or not yet) make it so volume control can be per application instead of per synthesis module. I.e. you could turn the Orca speech volume up, while having the Okular or Firefox speech volume lower if you wanted to as a user for some reason. For that to work we may need to have different pulse/pipewire/whatever streams per client in the daemon. I'm not sure if that's in place just yet, but having all the audio playback in the daemon itself makes that possible.

BR,
Jeremy