Speech dispatcher and audio?

From: Rastislav Kish
Subject: Speech dispatcher and audio?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 19:42:20 +0000

Hello,

I noticed sd_espeak-ng, after receiving the speak instruction, doesn't
start speaking on its own, instead it seems it returns audio tag under
code 705 which is afterwards played by speech dispatcher?

Is this some kind of preparation for synthesis to audio functionality?

Previously, I think SSIP used to be a plain-text protocol, the speech
modules were responsible for playing their audio output.

Now, my Chinfusor project seems to be crashing when directly
communicating with other speech modules, because it's unable to utf-8
decode their output after the speak request.

Any hint on what's going on?

Ubuntu Mate 22.04 64-bit, speech-dispatcher 0.11.1-1, espeak-ng 1.50+dfsg-10

Thanks!

Best regards

Rastislav