Re: speechd-el reads whole line [SOLVEDD] and more

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: speechd-el reads whole line [SOLVEDD] and more
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 22:20:08 +0200

    NG> The problem: characters are not echoed when I type, whether
    NG> speechd-speak-echo is set to character or word.

[...]

    NG> I'm running emacs 26.1 (build 2) on Debian.

It works for me.  Does it work for you if you start Emacs with -q?

It is handled by the following code:

  (when (and self-insert
             speechd-speak-echo
             (not (memq 'self-insert-command
                        speechd-speak-ignore-command-keys)))
    (case speechd-speak-echo
      (word
       (let ((point (point)))
         (when (and (> point 1)
                    (not (save-match-data (string-match "\\w" (buffer-substring
(1- point) point)))))
           (speechd-speak--text (buffer-substring (save-excursion (forward-word
-1) (point)) point)))))
      (character
       (speechd-speak--with-updated-text
        (speechd-speak--command-keys 'notification)))))))

If it works with `emacs -q' for you then you can look at the code above
and think which of your settings might make to stop it working.  If it
doesn't work even with `emacs -q' then I don't know; we may try to debug
it.

    NG> Now the suggestion: speechd-speak forces the language to "en"
    NG> when it reads some messages, in particular from the
    NG> minibuffer. This is fine but not always appropriate, sometimes
    NG> messages would be better read in the same language as buffers. I
    NG> think this should be controlled by a customizable variable.

I can add a customization option but I'd like to understand your needs
first.  What's your use case?

Regards,
Milan