KEY commands ignored (was: speechd-el reads whole line [SOLVED] and more

From: Nicolas Graner
Subject: KEY commands ignored (was: speechd-el reads whole line [SOLVED] and more)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 14:33:09 +0200

I wrote:
NG> The problem: characters are not echoed when I type, whether
NG> speechd-speak-echo is set to character or word.

After many hours of debugging I found that it's probably a
speech-dispatcher problem rather than a speechd-el problem. When emacs
sends a "KEY x" command nothing is spoken, while a "CHAR x" command is
spoken correctly. I have worked around the problem by patching the
function speechd-say-key to change the string "KEY" to "CHAR" and
character echoing works.

I am using speech-dispatcher 0.9.0 and the behavior is exactly the same
on another machine running version 0.8.
I found nothing that looks related to this in speech-dispatcher.log with a log
level of 4.

Any clue?

Nicolas