Espeak produces an echo when punctuation is activated

From: hermann
Subject: Espeak produces an echo when punctuation is activated
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 17:18:39 +0100

am Mi 05. M?r 2008 um 16:45:17 schrieb Hynek Hanke <hanke at volny.cz>:
> > > The idea is that when speaking text with punctuation turned on, it
> > > speaks the names of the punctuation symbols with a different sounding
> > > voice, in order to distinguish "comma" meaning the symbol from the word
> > > "comma" which appears in the text.
> > In my view it is bad, but perhaps we wait till we have more feedback on
> > this.
>

> I'm not blind, but to me, the idea seems very reasonable (to
> distinguish beteen comma as a symbol and the word "comma"
> in the text).

I think this is a rare case.

> Perhaps just the realization (the type of voice used) is bad?
> Or perhaps it should be possible to turn this functionality
> on and off.

This feature disturbs the fluency of the reading. Try to listen to a
longer text using this echo. Do you really like that? If a majority
wants this feature, then I think it should be optional.
In my case it is also not so important, because I'm a braille user too,
and when I'm not sure, in which context a character appears, I chekc it
out on my braille display.
However: What do speech-only users think of this?
Hermann