Chinese with IBM TTS driver

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Chinese with IBM TTS driver
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:27:21 +0100

Tomas Cerha writes:
> Hello, BTW, the user's address is coscell at mail.batol.net if someone
> wants to communicate with him directly.

Thank you, I'm going to contact him.

> His answer to my question whether he's sure that he sends UTF-8 to
> spd-say was:
> > Yes! I converted it with command: iconv -f big5 -t utf-8 source>target
> > then paste target's content into spd-say command-line.

If by copy&paste he meant kernel copy&paste, I think we have found the
problem. Kernel copy&paste is full of problems with
internationalization. If you don't have console in utf-8, it just
doesn't work, and if you do, it must not contain more than 255 glyphs,
which is easily exceeded with Chinese I believe.

The correct way to use iconv is this:
        iconv -f big5 -t utf-8 source | spd-say -e
or even
        echo "text" | iconv -f big5 -t utf-8 | spd-say -e

With regards,
Hynek Hanke