Chinese with IBM TTS driver

From: Gary Cramblitt
Subject: Chinese with IBM TTS driver
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 18:15:17 -0500

On Thursday 08 March 2007 03:58, Tomas Cerha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got a report from a Chinese user, that he has a problem when trying to
> use Speech Dispatcher with Chinese.  He only has Chinese support with
> IBMTTS, so he can't check with another module.  IBMTTS speaks fine when
> he uses the binary, but speaks garbage when used through spd-say.  I
> made sure, that he sends the text in UTF-8 to spd-say, so there should
> not be a problem.
>
> Thus I would like to ask, whether we have any previous experience with
> Chinese or any other Asian languages.  Does anyone have any suggestions
> how to check where the problem is?  I'm not sure if Garry is on the
> list, but if you are here, could you let me know whether you believe
> that UNICODE is handled correctly by the ibmtts module?

Couldn't really say.  I guess the first step would be to examine the logs to
see if speech-dispatcher is receiving the text OK, then see if the ibmtts
module is receiving the text OK.  If both are true, then the bug would be in
the way the ibmtts module sends it to the ibm eloquence engine.

Gonna be tough to investigate without having the Chinese voice to test.

The ibmtts module makes use of the non-unicode strxxx functions, so problem
may occur there.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)