spacebar-devel

Re: [SpaceBar-devel] still alive?

From: Adam Olsen
Subject: Re: [SpaceBar-devel] still alive?
Date: Sun Jun 23 10:45:02 2002

Blah, typo'd the CC.  Forwarding to both lists again so we can
hopefully use a functional CC list.

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 03:47:55PM +0200, Jan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 10:47:18PM +0000, Adam Olsen wrote:
> > Is this project still alive?  I didn't see any posts in the archive
> > (except one that looked like spam), and I can't tell how old it is.
>
> SpaceBar is still alive, even if there was no activity for
> some time. (And till now the list was unused...)

Ahh cool. :)

I'm CC'ing to engineer-devel too, hopefully can stir up some activity
there ;)

> > Do you think it could use the engine from my project, Engineer
> > (http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/engineer/)?  It's optimized for
> > mostly-static maps at this point, so I don't know how well it'd behave
> > on a constantly-changing map.. but I suppose there isn't much you can
> > do to optimize those anyway.
>
> Mh, SpaceBar itself is ( or I hope it will :) ) be an
> engine too, but that should not prevent us from exchanging
> our ideas or cooperating or something like that. ( I hope
> I will get some time to look at your code in the next few
> weeks. )
>
> SpaceBar will focus at first on a scroll-down-arcade
> genre. On the tech-side there will hopefully be: XML based
> configuration, scripting (I haven't decided which
> language) and transparent map/game-archives (like
> quake-pak).
>
> Now there is only some messy code (some mixture of c and
> c++) that runs on Debian GNU/Linux (Woody) and on Win32
> (cross-compilation with mingw32). It currently only
> displays a moving bitmap so nothing fancy to look at (not
> even on the tech-side). But if you want to, I imported it
> in the CVS today.
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/spacebar/spacebar/

Since I mailed you I've looked around a bit more, and I've found
there's actually numerous engines that do sprite rendering, including
SEL (SDL Extension Library) which does dirty-update rendering.  I
suppose the only thing special about mine is the intent to
transparently support numerous kinds of views, including:

- orthogonal vertex (aka isometric, this is what's in the screenshots)
- orthogonal edge
- orthogonal overhead
- orthogonal free
- perspective vertex
- perspective edge
- perspective overhead
- perspective free

Both with 2d and 3d rendering.  The primary difference between them is
2d pre-renders each model into a sprite, then draws the sprite on
screen, while 3d renders the model directly.

I'd like XML for configuration and saved games too, just as long as we
compress it as we save.  Ditto for scripting (I already have Python
scripting) and transparent map/game archives.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus