spacebar-devel

Re: [SpaceBar-devel] still alive?

From: Jan
Subject: Re: [SpaceBar-devel] still alive?
Date: Sun Jun 23 09:51:02 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 10:47:18PM +0000, Adam Olsen wrote:
> Is this project still alive?  I didn't see any posts in the archive
> (except one that looked like spam), and I can't tell how old it is.

SpaceBar is still alive, even if there was no activity for
some time. (And till now the list was unused...)

> Do you think it could use the engine from my project, Engineer
> (http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/engineer/)?  It's optimized for
> mostly-static maps at this point, so I don't know how well it'd behave
> on a constantly-changing map.. but I suppose there isn't much you can
> do to optimize those anyway.

Mh, SpaceBar itself is ( or I hope it will :) ) be an
engine too, but that should not prevent us from exchanging
our ideas or cooperating or something like that. ( I hope
I will get some time to look at your code in the next few
weeks. )

SpaceBar will focus at first on a scroll-down-arcade
genre. On the tech-side there will hopefully be: XML based
configuration, scripting (I haven't decided which
language) and transparent map/game-archives (like
quake-pak).

Now there is only some messy code (some mixture of c and
c++) that runs on Debian GNU/Linux (Woody) and on Win32
(cross-compilation with mingw32). It currently only
displays a moving bitmap so nothing fancy to look at (not
even on the tech-side). But if you want to, I imported it
in the CVS today.

https://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/spacebar/spacebar/

Jan