social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] "GNU social" sucks.

From: Mikael Nordfeldth
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] "GNU social" sucks.
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 20:55:28 +0100

On 2015-01-18 20:24, Adam Moore wrote:
> On 2015-01-11 03:59, Mikael Nordfeldth wrote:
> So, I'm going to retract my original proposal that GNU social should
> change its name.  You're right: devs don't care what the software's
> called, and users are going to be using instances that are not
> necessarily branded as GNU social servers.  But, I do think it's
> important that some kind of consensus is arrived at for the name of the
> network, and that the verbiage on GNU social sites be changed to reflect
> the relationship between GNU social and the network which it facilitates.
>
> "GNU social is a HORD server; the HORD is the largest decentralized
> social media network on the web."
>
> Or something like that.  I just made-up HORD.  (H)ordes of (O)Status
> (R)elay (D)aemons.  There's my suggestion for the network name.  I know,
> I know -- y'all are thinking, "man, how does he come up with all of
> these amazing ideas?".  I eat a lot of vegetables.  That must be it.

I love your name proposals.

But for that, I think rysiek et al over at Diaspora* have had a pretty
good suggestion with "The Federation" or just "Federation" (I saw this
film once, where a social network dropped the "the" and suddenly it went
haywire with popularity! oddly enough, the film itself was called
something with "The" prefixed...).

All jokes aside, I do agree that a common term for all interoperable
federated social networks is a good thing. I believe the Diaspora* folks
are on to something when they speak of The Federation. It is also my
motivation to implement the Diaspora tweaks to OStatus into GNU social.
It's just taking some time. :)