sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net having trouble?

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net having trouble?
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 13:11:18 -0400

On Apr 1, 2010, at 1:13 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> Hi Ryan--
>
> On 04/01/2010 12:45 AM, Ryan wrote:
>> Couple thoughts, first of all if you have several
>> machines doing regular queries you might look into running
>> a local keyserver for your servers to sync off of.. if thats
>> not a possibility you might locate your closest server and
>> point it at them.
>
> I actually co-administer zimmermann.mayfirst.org (though it's not local
> to the hosts i'm talking about), which has been in the pool for a while.
> I hadn't thought about routing issues causing failures, though i would
> have hoped that the client-side tools would have used the DNS failover
> to work around such a failure.

GPG does have a notion of failover here, but it ends at connection time.  That
is, if there are multiple A records in a pool, and GPG (really libcurl) manages
to connect() to one of them, it expects that server to be able to respond.  If
the A record doesn't answer at all, then GPG/libcurl will try the next one in
the pool.

David