sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] web performance improvement

From: Fabio Massimo Di Nitto
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] web performance improvement
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:41:21 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Yaron M. Minsky wrote:

> The problem here is that the database is presently single-threaded,

Ok

> and reinserting 200 keys requires a fair amount of work in terms of
> reading the database and seeking all over the disk (the actual
> computational component is pretty trivial).

> It's not clear what the point would be of
> making the web interface "live", since there's nothing it can actually
> do.

Read only access on its own? (just an idea..)

> Usually, people serve the query page off of a regular (and
> separate) web server like Apache, and that's really the only thing that
> can be broken off sensibly.

Actually i was doing a lookup to fetch the server stats (just for the sake
of doing a query. My setup i admin is still dirty since i have the query
page served by sks but in this case it didn't make any difference.

> Now, you could try to allow for concurrent database access, which would
> stop the database from ever appearing "dead", and would allow some
> queries to proceed while the database was being updated.  That's
> possible, but would require some non-trivial work.

Ok i see that it seems not an easy task for anyone.

> (btw, I do believe the SKS' performance is comparable to PKS'.  I'd be
> interested in performance comparisons, though.)

eh i would love to give some help here but i don't have enough resources
to handle it atm.

Fabio

--
Our mission: make IPv6 the default IP protocol
"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

http://www.itojun.org/paper/itojun-nanog-200210-ipv6isp/mgp00004.html