sketch-devel

Re: state of hacking

From: C. Ecker
Subject: Re: state of hacking
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:22:48 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 07:23:39PM +0100, C. Ecker wrote:
> > The good news is that I am not a phd student anymore,
>
> This probably means you have gotten your doctoral degree..
> Congratulations in this case!
Thanks

> > I have less time to waste on side projects as, sorry, skencil.
> > Therefore, I put my current skencil-devil in the web.
>
>       Nice typo in devil. :)
Oops!

[...]
> I did not see a changelog so far, did you keep one?

There are a lot of major and minor changes. Basically this is:
- moving code and splitting up large files to make it more readable (the
  palette stuff)

- changes due to gtk2

- the concept of cards and MultiPanels: Most dialogs are on cards now.
  Cards are just widgets and can be put in container widgets
  as e.g. in MultiPanels. => the gui can be changed with litle effort,
  fill, line and properties are now in an "inspector" panel.

  Multipanels have a menu (hidden under the arrow button) with switches
  for update, immediate apply. They further can be duplicated and save
  their state into a memo window (not yet).

- a different concept for the main windows. Not one document one window as
  before, instead as in emacs: frames and buffers.

- immediate apply

- a different concept to replace modal dialogs. E.g. the colorbutton now
  works as in nextsstep applications (I copied the concept I foud in
  cenon). The colorpanel can be openend permanently now and communicates
  with color buttons via messages and requests.

- drag and drop (currently only colors)

- completely rewrote the layers dialog

- changes to the menu to allow menu bars. Menu definions can now be kept
  in the registry.

- unified concept for renderer (cell renderer, widget renderer, image
  renderer)

- a completely new color dialog

To give you an impression, here is a screen shot:

http://de.geocities.com/dendronde/sk-shot.png

> Hmm could not start it.

I tried it on suse and debian without major problems. However I am not too
surprised that there a problems. The code is just as I left it when the
hollidays were over, so it is not stable or finished. Sorry. Changing
buffers does not work at all, the rest should be not too far from beeing
finished.

Christof