Re: [Simulavr-devel] Script to count tab spaces in source files

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Script to count tab spaces in source files
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 17:50:04 +0100

Hi Petr,

Are you aware that spaces-vs-tabs issue is a holy war which has been
going on for decades and remains unsolved?
It is unlikely that anyone finds a solution people would like. Maybe
if the solution was implemented in an editor.

Yes, I know it! :-) In the historical computer age ;-) it was necessary to use tab character, for example for some assembler programs. One one hand to hold it readable, on the other because of simple parsing algorythms. And it has saved space. In this time, where a computer main memory with 64 kbyte was a really good machine! :-) But not now in a time, where a Gbyte is the smallest counting unit. :-)

And, as Klaus wrote, modern editors have the ability to use space characters instead of tab characters or able to transform it to spaces and back, if somebody want's this. ;-) Btw. @ Klaus: I agree with you in using spaces and editor functionality to have a good formating. But I know some people, which think about such agreement as a attack to theirs personal freedom!

What is SOFT-Tabs? Indenting using 4 spaces? (If yes, then it is
indentation using spaces, not soft-tabs.)

Yes, but I think, that soft-tabs is a better and shorter ;-) description for that fact. Anyway, we can call it as we like, but should do it! :-)

I think it is lame to commit changes which only change whitespace.
Possible exception is to change few lines that are inconsistent with
lines immediately above and below.

I try to avoid changing indentation while changing code. Sometimes I slip.

:-) That's the holy tab war, I see! But to have a good formated source makes it more easy to understand it. Believe me, I have seen some horrible formatted source in my business. And the task: there are some problems, solve it! My first task was: reformating this source. (and this was a terrible work and the main work for this contract!) After this I was wondering, why this software was working! ;-)

And, for interest: we have about 9000 tabs in about 150 source files from about 320 source files total. Maybe some are necessary, but not all. :-)

cu, Thomas