Re: [Simulavr-devel] Nightly build service, was: [bug #33148] Modificati

From: Petr Hluzín
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Nightly build service, was: [bug #33148] Modifications needed in to compile last simulavr
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 23:04:52 +0200

On 2 May 2011 20:48, ThomasK <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Why do you think nightly build service is not usable for us?
>> Is it difficult to setup? If yes, isn't that a bug?
>
> Not really difficult if you don't want to test special cases. But the
> main point is, that in my opinion, you'll find only services, which you
> have to pay for! And we havn't changes every day, where a nightly build
> service is necessary.

There seems to be several automatic build hosting services:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_comparison

> For my opinion it's necessary to make such "nightly build" after a
> change was commited and pushed to public repo. Just to know, that it's
> running or if not, to get a hint, that there is something broken.

Yes. The behavior is virtually the same as nightly building. Except
maybe nightly build does not start immediately.

> But, for example, I couldn't check it on Mac or Win with VS!

I will occasionally build-check this. At least this year.
BTW: simulavr can be built with the freeware edition of VS.

>> The problem is that I am afraid it will be difficult to merge the
>> branches with Git. I too scared to even try that. I have bad
>
> If you merge from master-staging to master and master isn't changes
> since last merge (or initial branch), then it's simply a fast-forward
> merge! Sure, you have to think about, what you're doing. But nobody
> prevents you to clone your working repo before you start such
> "dangerous" operations and do that on the clone, not your originally
> working repo. If it fails, then you havn't broke you origin and you can
> start over.

I know the idea of merging, but I do not know the commands and do not
understand the messages it will be printing. And user should not think
about what is he doing - the operation is simple. Or can be simple,
therefore it should be simple.

Yeah, cloning is probably the way. It will be more efficient for me to
do the merge manually (without git's help).

> I have learned to handle with git in this way. Or tried something out,
> where I'm not sure, if this works in this way. That's in my opinion one
> of the great advantages of git, it's the same, if you try local or push
> to a remote repo, just change the URL! (not, for example, like svn,
> where you need a server to work!)

If you are not sure with git then it looks like there is a problem with git.
Since I (and probably other simulavr developers) do not use offline
repositories there is little advantage of not having server.

--
Petr Hluzin