Re: [Simulavr-devel] [bug #33148] Modifications needed in to compile las

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] [bug #33148] Modifications needed in to compile last simulavr
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 17:26:58 +0200

Hi list,

I'm back after a long time ... ;-) (hopefully) It's a question of free time, of course.

About nightly build service:

At all, it's a good idea. In my work I see many such solutions. Some build quick and dirty - just for this project only, some with professional software. And there are also open source for such tasks. (for example hudson)

But for our work it's not ideal at all!

At first, we need a server for such. And we have to pay for it! As I know, I don't know a "free" build service, which we could use.

The second is, that we need a build service for different platforms: linux with ubuntu or debian, windows with mingw/cygwin, windows with VS and - as I assume - also for Apple/Mac.

And at last, our change frequence isn't so high, that we really need a nightly build service.

I had some discussions about master branch with Onno a long time ago. :-) I think, he's right, that master branch should be stable in every case. Stable means at least, that it will compile and build on every platform and that "make check" will run successfully.

So my suggestions about this:

- not to use master branch for development, instead create a devel-... branch. You can decide for self, if you want to publish this branch or not

- after a change or a bunch of changes is done, commit or merge it to a branch called "master-staging" and push a comment to mailing list to check and review this on the different platforms

- if it's ok and nobody gets a problem with this change, it can be merged to master branch

So we have too a small review process. The task to check this changes on "master-staging" isn't so big. It means "bootstrap; configure ...; make; make check". And if this is successfull a post to mailing list.

Just my suggestions for solving problems with instable master.

And, of course, we should commit us about a release!

cu, Thomas