Re: [Simulavr-devel] version control systems

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] version control systems
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 15:24:54 -0700

On Sat Jan 16 11:34 , ThomasK  sent:

>Hi Michael,
>
>> If this worked, how do we get simulavr and simulavrxx into the same
>> repository?
>> I can't figure out how to check anything out.
>
>That's not really a problem. Maybe there are other ways to do that, but
>I have just converted both projects (simulavrxx only as test and
>simulavr) in new git repos forself.

To me, not being able to check anything out is a problem.

>After conversion you can pull from such repo into another repo and so
>combine both or more projects. A git repo can hold two really different
>projects just in 2 different branches. Thats all the magic. Look on my
>repo on github.com, the simulavr-old branch hold the simulavr part and
>cvs-upstream branch (convertend in the beginning from Onno) hold the
>simulavrxx part.
>
>If you like, then you can clone and pull from my repo only this 2
>branches and you got, what you want. It would be the same, but with a
>bit less time (which you need otherwise for conversion) ... ;-)

I'm not following at all.
Are you saying that one isn't supposed to be able to check anything
out from a cvsimport-generated repository?
If so, how does it differ from a repository from which
one is supposed to be able to check  things out?

>If a project is converted, then you are free to push and pull the
>resulting branch anywhere in other git repos.

I did eventually manage to get something other than a blank look from git,
but I'm not sure what, if anything to do with it:

address@hidden sim]$ cd simulavr-from-cvs
address@hidden simulavr-from-cvs]$ ls -a
address@hidden simulavr-from-cvs]$ git branch
  cvs-upstream