Re: [Simulavr-devel] Multiple CPU - Architecture discussion

From: Knut Schwichtenberg
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Multiple CPU - Architecture discussion
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 21:40:16 +0200

Eric,
thank's for clarification. So derived files - like avr-gcc includes or XML-files that are generated on an machine which has installed AVRStudio completely are okay, is it? Is using these files without distributing them also okay? Lets assume a program use them but do not distribute them.

Knut

Weddington, Eric wrote:
That's the best question for today. Jörg Wunsch always mentions the license issue. I reinstalled the AVRStudio to get the license. The license to agree is "thin" and to me as a none native speaker it says nothing special - but decide on your own...

--------------------------------
Welcome to AVR Studio from Atmel Corporation.

AVR Studio is a Development Tool for the AVR family of microcontrollers. The AVR Studio is free of charge and may be freely copied and distributed in its
original form.

The phrase above is the central issue: "AVR Studio ... may be freely copied and
*distributed in its original form*" (emphasis mine)

This means that it may not be re-distributed in parts, that you cannot
redistribute just the XML device files only. They have to be included with the
entire AVR Studio package.

Eric Weddington
Product Manager
Atmel