Re: [Simulavr-devel] so close it hurts

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] so close it hurts
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:35:15 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, address@hidden wrote:

:)I got the "simulavr-0.0.14.tar.gz is ready for distribution" message
:)from make distcheck. So for me its ok now.

Cool.

I'm pretty sure the next release will be 0.1.0.

TODO items before 0.1.0:

 * Gdb support looks about as solid as it's going to get.
   - Watch points might need some gdb tweaking to get working and will
     have a rather large impact on simulavr. Thus, a 0.1.0 issue.
   - continue on another address is a none-issue since gdb doesn't even
     use it.

 * Build system looks pretty good now.
   - There may be some problems with using @ac_*@ stuff in SUBDIRS
     variables (similar to what Reinhard found with the regress dir)
   - Should the checks for avr-gcc check to see if it can compile an avr
     program?

 * Header cleanups and encapsulation improvements still need done. I will
   this over the next week. Should be straight forward changes with just
   moving decl's around.

 * verify all avr_op_* instruction handlers for correctness.
   - This means writing test cases for all opcodes. Basically, this is
     tedious and not much fun. There's a TODO file in regress/test_opcodes/
     which outlines what is done and what needs to written.
   - I checked in a change to gdbserver.c today which reduces the existing
     regression test times approximately 35 percent. By threading the
     regression engine and making the gdbserver.c change, I dropped the
     test time from 378 seconds to 80 seconds. Of course, this is on my
     dual PPro 180 computer. I'd expect it to be even faster on a "modern"
     computer.

 * documentation. (I'll be happy if only some of this gets done)
  - I still want to get the rest of the public function comments converted
    to doxygen. More tedium/less fun.
  - Also, I'd like to move all the internals docu from the texinfo manual
    to the source so it will be in a single internals manual.

Whew! All that coupled with trying to find a job in the Seattle area
should keep me very busy for a few weeks.

Ted Roth