serbiangnome-lista

[Serbiangnome-lista] Re: Serbian (sr) language translation team: mainta

From: Charles Voelger
Subject: [Serbiangnome-lista] Re: Serbian (sr) language translation team: maintainer unresponsive
Date: 07 Apr 2003 17:02:02 -0400

On Lun, 2003-04-07 at 16:44, Danilo Segan wrote:
> On the other hand, it might be wiser to choose sr_lat, and sr (if one
> wants to keep "sr" as latin, though anyone's preference shouldn't impact
> the choice of the script), especially so because Serbian language comes
> in two "dialects" (ekavian, and yekavian). Each of these dialects could
> be written using any of cyrillic or latin, so we might have something like:
> address@hidden - Serbian yekavian
> address@hidden - Serbian latin yekavian
> sr - Serbian ekavian
> sr_lat - Serbian latin ekavian

I am no expert, but I belive sr_lat is not the correct way to go.  As I
am to understand it the correct form should be:

address@hidden

with 'll' the lower case language code,
and 'CC' the uppercase country code,
asn "xxxxx" any modifier,

everything after the language code is optional. you would probably want
to do:

sr
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden

and not molest the standard ll_CC format with "_lat" which is
non-standard.  everything after the @ can be what you choose, hence the
european languages that have the old for and a "@euro" form, which
include the euro character set.

I may be wrong, but this is how I understand the system should work.
maybe you could instead use a language code for yekavian seberian, if
there is no ISO two-letter code it offers me the oppurtunity to ask any
one who may know, what should one do in a situation where the language
doesn't have an ISO code?

--
Charles Voelger <address@hidden>