serbiangnome-lista

[Serbiangnome-lista] Re: Serbian (sr) language translation team: mainta

From: Pablo Saratxaga
Subject: [Serbiangnome-lista] Re: Serbian (sr) language translation team: maintainer unresponsive
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 20:54:51 +0200

Kaixo!

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 05:18:46PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:

> > So, the suggested resolution should be: "sr" for Serbian language (which
> > means also cyrillic alphabet), and "sh" for latin transcription.
>
> Whatever suits you better. The important thing is not to use non-standard
> language codes. In a sense that might apply to "sh" as you wouldn't use it
> for its intended purpose as I understood it. But I admit I know very
> little about the details involved here with legacy from previous
> (broken) usage of codes.

The problem is that ISO language codes don't care about writting.
So, there is a single code for Serbian, be it in latin or cyrillic,
and a single code for Chinese, be it traditional or simplified, etc.
For Chinese, zh_TW an zh_CN are used to distinguish the two;
but for Serbian there is a problem.

Different codes are needed anyway, but using "sh" and "sr" would be better
than using "sr" and "sp"; as you never know if "sp" won't be attributed
in the future ("sh" won't), adn woudl be an improvement on the current
situation.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/          PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]