Displaying hardstatus in the title bar, but messages in the terminal win

From: Dun Peal
Subject: Displaying hardstatus in the title bar, but messages in the terminal window
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:50:12 -0600

Hi!

I have the following line in my .screenrc:

  termcapinfo xterm*|rxvt*|kterm*|Eterm* 'hs:ts=\E]0;:fs=\007:ds=\E]0;\007'

This line makes screen display the permanent hardstatus in my terminal
emulator's (Gnome Terminal) title bar. This is great since I always
need to be able to see at a glance the key context information
displayed in the hardstatus: session name, and title and index of my
current window.

The problem is that incoming screen messages (e.g. "Bell in window 1",
"Copy mode aborted") they are posted over (i.e. replace) the contents
of the title bar. So if I abort copy mode and look in my title bar, I
have to wait several seconds for the message to fade and context
information to be displayed again.

Another problem is that I tend not to see messages in the title bar,
as my attention is normally focused on the terminal window.

So the ideal solution would be displaying the context information in
the title bar, permanently, while messages are displayed in the
terminal window (by default in Gnome Terminal they appear in the last
line, with a gray background).

A bit less ideal, but still nice solution would be to display the
message *after* the context information in the hardstatus line (in the
title bar), such that the title bar looks like:

Is there a way to implement those solutions?

Thanks, D.