Re: F1/F2/F3/F4 don't work on my new laptop

From: Cameron Dale
Subject: Re: F1/F2/F3/F4 don't work on my new laptop
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:26:54 -0700

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Micah Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Cameron Dale wrote:
>> termcapinfo xterm 'k1=\E[11~:k2=\E[12~:k3=\E[13~:k4=\E[14~'
>
> This tells screen to ignore what termcap/terminfo might really have for
> k1, and use these entries instead.
>
>> However, with my new eeepc laptop this is causing problems. Now, F1 F2
>> F3 and F4 no longer work only on the laptop. If I remove the
>> termcapinfo line from .screenrc the laptop works fine, but then on all
>> my other machines F1-F4 stops working! Most frustrating.
>
> Sounds like, on the system you're using for the laptop, the original
> terminfo lines are correct.

If they're correct, shouldn't the termcapinfo line do nothing then,
that is overwrite the correct ones with entries that are also correct?
Sorry, I know almost nothing about termcap/info.

> Why not use the .screenrc without those lines on your laptop, and the
> ones with them on all others? If you have two terminal versions which
> respect two different sequences, you can't really expect to have both
> the same terminfo definition and the same .screenrc for them both.

The problem is when I ssh into a server machine from different places,
then screen runs on the server and uses the server's .screenrc file.
Either I have the termcapinfo line in .screenrc on the server and all
desktops work but my laptop doesn't, or I remove the line to get my
laptop to work and the desktops no longer work.

> What terminal emulator are you using, gnome-terminal? Gnome-terminal
> isn't perfectly compatible with xterm, especially when it comes to
> special key controls; but it advertises itself as xterm. Probably
> because of apps like vim (and screen) that recognize "xterm" as
> providing mouse support, but not gnome-terminal.

I'm using konsole, and it looks like that might be the culprit. I
tried running xterm on my desktop instead, and it behaves just like my
laptop (works fine without the termcapinfo line). I'll try on some of
my other machines later tonight.

Thanks,
Cameron