Re: Hard status line in vertical split mode.

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: Hard status line in vertical split mode.
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 01:22:55 -0400

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 12:31:58PM EDT, Michael Schroeder wrote:

[..]

> > 5. Is it possible to split the screen and display the contents of
> >    another window in a single action?  Right now I'm on window #2 and I
> >    would like to see what is in window #5 next to what I have in window
> >    #2.  What I do is C-A |, C-A Tab, C-A 5. Is there a better way?
>
> Not yet. You can do that with an eval statement, though, but adding
> a "and select in new region" option to the "split" command is
> probably the way to go.

The following apparently does the trick:

  bind U eval "split -v" "focus bottom" select

After sourcing the above, "C-A U" presents me with a focused empty
region with a message near the bottom prompting me for the # of the
window I wish to switch to.

Good enough for my personal use.

FYI - regarding the "caption never" enhancement I mentioned in my
original post, I found two recent posts over the last few months that
requested the same thing.

Thank you very much for your help.

cga