Re: screen on linux console

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: screen on linux console
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:19:41 +1000

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 13:38, Phil!Gregory wrote:
> * Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> [2004-07-20 08:54 +1000]:
> > When I run screen in a Linux console (not in X), and when I create new
> > screens (C-a C-c), my status line prints correctly, but I also get a
> > beep, and then this line printed:
> >
> > ;;0-$ bash
>
> That seems odd.  At a guess, screen's putting out terminal escape
> sequences that the linux console doesn't recognize.  In the console,
> before you attach to screen, what is the value of $TERM?

:)

xterm-debian

I change it to "linux" and it's fine. I was exporting TERM from my
.bashrc.

I just did some testing (move .bashrc out of the way) and if I log in on
console, TERM is auto set to 'linux', and unset TERM in an xterm, then
new xterm has TERM set to 'xterm'.

But now I remember why I was setting it: when I run vi in an xterm (even
in screen), various syntax highlighting is muchly bolded, which is too
strong - colors are OK, but I don't like bold text everywhere. I guess I
better finally 'really' learn to understand customizing xterm's
colors... an integrated-desktop-gui does provide some conveinence you
know...

ta
zen